How do I get a website on the Internet?
The major steps to get a website on the Internet are as follows:
1. Domain Name Registration -
You will need to decide upon a name for your site. Things to consider when choosing a name are:
- While there are many reputable domain registration companies, we recommend DirectNIC.com for domain name registration.
- Avoid longer names – your prospective clients will need to remember your name when entering your URL (web address)
- Try to stay with a ".com" or ".net", if available. There are many different types of name extensions available now, but are not as popular (ex. ".cn", ".net", ".name", ".biz", etc). Again, you want your clients to remember your name and keep coming back to your site.
2. Obtain a hosting site and point your domain name to the host server. We use a reputable and reliable hosting site for our clients. The cost is reasonable and the site is free of banner advertisements and annoying pop-ups. Many hosting sites will offer reduced hosting fees, but your clients will quickly leave your site if they experience unsolicited spam or animated advertisement banners on your pages. Our web site designs are free of advertisements that you do not wish to show on your website.
Design the template that will be used throughout your pages. Your website design should follow these 5 simple rules:
- Easy to read
- Easy to navigate
- Easy to find
- Consistent in layout and design, and
- Quick to download
4. Create the content of your web pages. This includes the text, graphics, html scripting, navigation, programming required for functionality, and website design optimization.
5. Publish your website with the top major search engines. Once your site is optimized for the best search results available, your web design will be submitted for search retrieval.
6. Update your website content periodically.
Can you enhance/update my current website?
Yes, we can enhance your current web site by providing professional web design services and perform search engine optimization on your site, if needed. We can also offer updating services to keep your current website up to date with your business needs.
How much do you charge for web site design?
Our web design services are billed at $70/hr.
Programming services such as PHP scripting, mySQL database design and development services are billed at $100/hr.
How much a site will cost to design depends on a number of factors:
- Whether you decide upon a pre-fabricated (existing) design template or need a custom-developed template. Each template is uniquely designed for your company, however if we start from scratch with your design, this may increase the price.
- Number of pages on the site.
- Types and number of graphic images on the site
- Photo scanning and retouching
- Database and Flash Programming
- Online marketing
We can provide you with a no cost, no obligation quote for your web design project. You will know before any charges are incurred what the estimated cost of your website design will be. Additional charges may be incurred for multiple design changes, however we will work closely with you during the design process to ensure that you are made aware of these additional charges.
When are payments for your work due?
One-half of the estimated cost of our services is due prior to commencement of work. Final payment is expected upon completion.
What types of web sites do you design?
We design all types of sites, ranging from simple brochure-type web site designs to e-commerce web sites. Most of our clients are individuals and small to mid-sized businesses.
What are design templates?
Design templates are used for the layout of web pages. Templates are used to create the overall look and feel of your entire website. These templates will define the colors, styles, graphics and layout of every page of your website.
Can you recommend a hosting service?
You are free to use any hosting service that you prefer, however many of our website designs are hosted by ITSense, LLC. This is a reputable and reliable hosting site for our clients. The cost is reasonable and the site is free of banner advertisements and annoying pop-ups. Many hosting sites will offer reduced hosting fees, but your clients will quickly leave your site if they experience unsolicited spam or animated advertisement banners on your pages. Our web site designs are free of advertisements that you do not wish to show on your website.
What if I need to make periodic changes after the site is published?
We encourage clients to keep their web site updated and current. Clients may opt to make further changes themselves or take advantage of our website design maintenance option. We charge a nominal fee for updates to existing web sites, depending upon the number of changes required and the level of effort needed to perform the updates.
How much do you charge for graphic design services?
Graphic design services are billed at $25/hr.
What types of graphic design services do you provide?
We provide all types of graphic images upon request to include site navigation buttons, image maps, various sizes of advertising banners, backgrounds, and more. Photo enhancement services are also available with existing images to include scanning, retouching, enhancing, special effects, file compression and sizing.
When are payments for your work due?
Payment is generally due prior to commencement of work. For larger projects (greater than $100), one-half payment is due initially and final payment is due upon completion.
How will I receive my project once it is completed?
We provide you with the option of receiving your images via e-mail attachment, disk, and/or hard copy. If the graphic project is for a web project, files will be provided at low resolution. For images that will be used in print material, high resolution files will be made available.